Our first day for the 2021 Season will be Friday May 7th. Our 48th Season.
Maintain social distancing please! Also refrain from touching the exhibits. This applies to all visitors.Come see our newly restored exterior of the Museum.
See Plan Your Visit or Event page for special happenings.
Photo by Josh McIntyre
Admission $5 age 14 and over, $2 under age 14, and preschool free. Take a trip up the stairs to visit the lantern tower!
The Michigan City Historical Society hopes that you will visit with us at the Old Lighthouse Museum, the oldest remaining lighthouse in Indiana.
The collection is available for researchers and Michigan City Historical Society members by request.
The museum is open for public tours from May through October, Wednesday through Sunday, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM Central Time. Self-guided and docent-led tours are available. The last tour each day begins at 3:30 PM Central Time. Call the museum at (219) 872-6133 to check on special hours or closings for Holidays. Strollers are not allowed in the museum.
We are also open each month as part of the Michigan City Uptown Arts District First Friday events. On those evenings we are open from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, free of charge.
* Tour the historic 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse and climb the tower into the lantern room.
* Learn about the three Michigan City Lighthouses.
* See an exhibit about Miss Harriet Colfax, Michigan City Lighthouse Keeper from 1861 until 1904. She was a cousin of Schuyler Colfax, U.S. Grant's Vice President.
* See a collection of beautiful ship models that we now have on loan.
* See exhibits about Lake Michigan shipwrecks, including a collection of picture postcards commemorating the Eastland Disaster, the tragic sinking of a steamship bound for Michigan City's Washington Park from Chicago in 1915.
* Learn about Abraham Lincoln's funeral train and its stop in Michigan City.
* Learn about local maritime history and the ships that have sailed in and out of our harbor.
* Learn a bit about the history of Michigan City, Indiana.
* Visit our gift shop and browse our fine selection of books, postcards, clothing, souvenirs, and Harbour Lights and Spoontiques lighthouse figurines.
Support us when you shop with Amazon.
We will receive 0.5% of your purchase when you chose the Michigan City Historical Society Incorporated Old Lighthouse Museum as your charity at smile.amazon.com.
The Old Lighthouse Museum
Updated September 17, 2021